Work In Progress Wednesday : Robot

Initial sketch, final design and design prepped for the block.

Initial sketch, final design and design prepped for the block.

This robot print has given me a bit of trouble. I hadn't really anticipated how fiddly all that shading on the design was going to be to carve into linoleum. Combine that with an early mistake that made things more difficult down the line.

You'd think I'd have noticed that wasn't tracing paper.

You'd think I'd have noticed that wasn't tracing paper.

Slashed right through that arm.

Slashed right through that arm.

I started with a sketch I had made a few months ago of a kind of lonely looking one-eyed robot. My orginal plan had been to scan the sketch and print it out at the appropriate size. Sadly my printer heads are clogged and there isn't enough ink to clean them. Grrr printers. So I just redrew it using the sketch as reference. I'm glad I did because I think the new design looks pretty good. Even if it doesn't quite capture the 'sad robot' of the original. Also I was able to design it with carving in mind.

This leads us to my first mistake. I used the wrong paper to transfer the image to the block. I've taken to using tracing paper to make a copy of the design. Then I glue the tracing paper face down to the block with tacky glue. I've experimented with a couple types of glue with varying success but have finally settled on tacky glue. I used it on another design I did last week with great success. So I charged ahead confidant in my process...and used the wrong paper. This is where things went wrong.

The thick paper bunched up and pealed off when I needed to do a detailed cut leading to a much messier look than I had been intending. Things were going wrong. Then, while cleaning up the lines, I cut straight through the arm. The block was ruined.

Taking my time and being careful with the new block.

Taking my time and being careful with the new block.

Latest proof for the new block. I'm fairly pleased.

Latest proof for the new block. I'm fairly pleased.

It was a relief in a way. Things had been going badly and I didn't really feel good about the whole thing so having an excuse to abandon that block was kind of welcome. I went down to the art store, bought some more blocks, fresh blades, and TRACING PAPER. Retraced the design with a bit more care thought and pasted it down. I was ready to start carving again. Only this time much more carefully and methodically.

It seems to be paying off.

-Seang