I settled on making the S more of a solid wood pattern. Because of the size of foam I had available I couldn't help but have a seam in the middle. I liked the tile idea and didn't want to abandon it completely.
I had been wanting to incorporate some 'Dougisms' that I had collected from my coworkers into the piece but hadn't settled on how. Then the idea of little framed tiles with the quotes in them struck me. So I made these little frames out of the foam I had left over from the failed tiles idea. Then wrote the quotes in with a sharpy.
I spray painted the S a dark green so it wouldn't have that bright white border. Also I thought the green gave it a more woodsy feel somehow. The spray paint caused the plastic of the S to warp very badly. I thought I had just ruined to whole thing. Fortunately painting the other side and strategically placing some weights on it and the warping mostly corrected itself.
To finish it off I hit the frames and the metal border with some Rub n' Buff and bolted it all back together. And there it was. A big blue and white S transformed into a big green, brass and wood grain S as a going away gift for man who gave it to me.